American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
TITLE: Associate Director of Meetings and Special Events
DIVISION/OFFICE: Meetings and Partnerships
REPORTS TO: Associate Executive Director
Under the leadership of the Associate Executive Director for Meetings and Partnerships, the Associate Director of Meetings and Special Events will manage the registration process and logistics for all virtual and in-person
AACRAO meetings, conferences, professional development seminars, and special events. This position will liaise with external vendors and internal stakeholders to plan and execute all AACRAO meetings, conferences, and events, and will work closely with conference committees and directors. This position requires periodic travel. This position will initially be remote, but will transition to the DC office when practicable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Plans, manages, and executes logistics for on-site and virtual meetings, conferences, and special events.
This includes coordinating travel, transportation, accommodations, food/beverage, program materials,
event registration, digital production, and editing.
• Must maintain expertise in and oversight of the sessions database.
• Serves as project manager for all meetings and events. This will include planning, implementation and
evaluation of all activities, resources, and services. Must obtain and maintain familiarity with each
program and provide advice and input as appropriate.
• Oversees and manages all aspects of virtual conferences and events.
• Collaborates with the marketing and communications team to development marketing and promotional
materials and messages for all meetings.
• Works closely with Associate Executive Director to develop and manage budgets related to meetings and
• Oversees the process for presenter waiver requests, expenses, and complimentary registration.
• Responds to requests for data/conference-related analytics.
• Works closely with Associate Executive Director on site selection.
A successful candidate will have:
• A bachelor’s degree (required) or master’s degree (preferred). A degree in meeting and event management a plus.
• 5 or more years of professional experience in meeting/conference management. Experience with a notfor-profit association or college/university a plus.
• The ability and willingness to travel, as well as to work nights, weekends, and holidays, as required.
• Strong planning and organizational skills.
• The ability to autonomously exercise good judgment and identify critical tasks, set priorities, and serve the needs of the Association.
• Strong budget development, financial management, and contract negotiation skills and experience.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to organize multiple simultaneous projects within tight deadlines.
• The ability and willingness to develop strong cross-functional relationships.
• A strong work ethic and will be solutions-oriented, creative, and detail oriented.
• The ability to work collaboratively and persuasively with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong customer service, interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop and maintain cooperative, effective relationships with members, business partners, staff, and other key leaders and stakeholders.
• Be curious about and willing to explore how different tools and platforms are used to drive business success and member satisfaction.
• Proficiency in Open Water, Salesforce, Microsoft Office applications, and other related technology solutions/tools/software.
HOW TO APPLY
Application review will begin March 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send an email to aed [at] aacrao [dot] org with the subject line Applicant for Associate Director
Position. Must include your resume and a response to the following questions:
• What will events look like in a post-Covid world?
• How have you used software/technology to plan/manage events?
• In what ways will you contribute to AACRAO?
ABOUT THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGIATE REGISTRARS AND ADMISSIONS OFFICERS
AACRAO is a non-profit, voluntary, professional association of more than 11,000 higher education professionals who represent approximately 2,600 institutions in more than 40 countries. Its mission is to provide professional development, guidelines, and voluntary standards to be used by higher education officials regarding the best practices in records management, admissions, enrollment management, administrative information technology, and student services. AACRAO represents institutions in every part of the higher education community, from large public institutions to small, private liberal arts colleges. AACRAO, an organization where people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles can work together to grow personally and professionally, is conveniently located in a new building in Downtown Washington, D.C., and the office is easily accessible via the Red, Blue, Orange, and Silver metro lines.