Oregon State University
The Office of the Registrar (OtR) is an Oregon State University mission-critical unit. We serve as an innovative partner, providing a clear path for student success. Institutional integrity is ensured through our strict adherence to confidentiality. We provide enrollment and instructional services, maintain academic history, and offer support services to students, staff, and faculty. We are able to provide continual outstanding service because of our commitments to excellence, equity, collaboration, and innovation. The Office of the Registrar is dedicated to providing a welcoming and inclusive work environment, in which each individual is treated with dignity and respect and is valued for their contribution to student success at Oregon State University.
The Associate Registrar – Systems Solutions position in the Office of the Registrar, reporting to the Deputy University Registrar, supervises the Office’s Technology Team and is accountable for team performance, internal customer service standards, and day-to-day operations assigned to the Technology Team. This position is responsible for planning and managing goals and efforts focused on technical development, implementation, maintenance, enhancement, and evaluation of student information system software applications specific to higher education such as Ellucian Banner, Degree Works, Salesforce, Leepfrog, and OnBase. Collaboration and communication are important aspects of this position for building and maintaining strong partnerships across the institution. Success in this position includes the ability to pivot quickly within an ever-changing environment; comfort with ambiguity and flexibility are important. This role is necessary to ensure the continuous availability of accurate information for use by, and in support of, students and to ensure their success at Oregon State University.
40% Administrative Management
- Manage day-to-day operations for technical work assigned to the Office of the Registrar.
- Function as the main point of contact and liaison for escalations with strategic partners within University Information & Technology.
- Serve as a leader, in collaboration with the technical team functional product managers, to address and resolve any production critical system outages, both planned and unplanned.
- Develop internal customer feedback mechanisms, maintain standard operating procedures including access controls, and assign work to appropriate team members.
- Serve as a data steward, for university wide student data, and lead team efforts to grant and manage appropriate data and system access.
- Support the development of elegant business processes and protocols that ensure data quality, integrity, and security.
- Use various resources to troubleshoot technical issues communicated to the Office of the Registrar such as performance issues, data anomalies, or other complex problems.
- Advise and communicate complex resource issues, technical constraints, or data concerns with the University Registrar and Deputy.
- Effectively communicate team, office, and University Information Technology priorities to various stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Communicate appropriately to users’ level of technical understanding, translating data related information between technical and non-technical audiences to guide solutions that meet the needs of the organization and the technical requirements and constraints of the functional products software applications.
- Participate in Office strategic planning efforts and serve as a consultant for office leadership on technical changes and impact of policy changes on functional and technical processes.
- Represent the Technical Team in various meetings as determined by the University Registrar and/or Deputy.
- Engage with external stakeholders to make decisions regarding any implementation and maintenance of the functional products and applications systems.
25% Project Management & Problem Resolution
- Manage or co-manage technical projects within the Office of the Registrar; projects are often focused on process improvements, system migrations, and development, deployment, and evaluation of new tools.
- Facilitate project work including work assignments/project resource management.
- Assess user needs/requirements, data structures, information processes, and flow of data within the student information system and between various systems that integrate with the student information system.
- Analyze performance issues for various systems as they relate to projects or operational work.
- Proactively prevent implementation problems. Conduct code or procedure change analysis, including impact to historic records.
- Serve as a technical and business analysis resource for cross-campus projects.
- Consistently consider the full technical and data ecosystem, both in the OtR and throughout the university, when analyzing proposed projects and changes.
- In collaboration with the project team, follow structured project management protocols including but not limited to equity impact analysis of stakeholders; requirements collection; solutions design; task list, timeline, and status report creation; and project meeting attendance.
- Create and implement test plans for projects, upgrades, and operational improvements.
- Provide technical information to help prioritize various projects.
- Balance competing timelines and priorities within OtR, and in partnership with University Information Technology and customers/stakeholders.
- Identify “low hanging fruit” versus difficult/complex solutions to facilitate project prioritization.
15% Team Management & Leadership
- Supervise the OtR’s technical team of classified IT professionals and functional product managers, which includes hiring, training, and evaluation.
- Develop and maintain position descriptions and applicable policies and procedures.
- Provide staff with timely and challenging professional development opportunities for improving their skills and increasing their office and institutional effectiveness with the goal of maintaining the highest quality of services for students and faculty.
- Prioritize and ensure delivery of the technical team’s work product as they contribute to the strategic priorities and objectives of the OtR and university.
10% Data Reporting & Quality Assurance
- Develop and maintain report server suite for coordinated reporting output from Office, and upgrade reports as needed.
- Develop reports for Academic Affairs staff to support regular periodic tasks.
- Generate custom reports for data requests.
- Develop code and perform quality assurance analysis for university-wide reporting systems.
5% Professional Development
- Attend regular team and Office meetings and actively participate in all OtR discussions, workshops, and retreats.
- Participate in university or professional organization staff development activities or conferences.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
- On occasion, assist other units within the Office of the Registrar or with university programs and activities.
- Assist with annual commencement related activities and ceremony, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field AND 3 years of technical system management experience.
- Experience with SQL based languages.
- Experience managing projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with a student information system (e.g., Banner, Colleague, Jenzebar).
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience managing employees in a technical or educational environment.
- Ability to work within an environment where ambiguity and the ability to pivot quickly are commonplace.
- Report development using SQL, PL/SQL, etc.
- Experience producing high quality documentation.
- Project management certification (e.g., PMP, CAPM).
- Experience working in Registrar’s Office setting.
- Knowledge and experience writing reports for Ellucian Banner, Degree Works, Workday, and/or Leepfrog databases.
- Experience working with, and writing jobs within, AWA.
- Master’s Degree in field related to this work (e.g., education, systems/structures, technology).