The Registrar is responsible for management of all activities related to academic records, conferral of degrees, course registration, classroom scheduling, and student information systems. This role has significant responsibilities related to compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations. The Registrar leads an office of five: two Associate Registrars, two Assistant Registrars and a Registrar Specialist. The Registrar serves as a member of the president’s senior staff and as an administrative faculty member.
The Registrar will have a student-centric view and seek to ensure that students and faculty have a positive experience, with processes that are streamlined and simplified. The Registrar will reduce administrative and structural barriers, increase communication and reporting, and enhance coordination and capability around registration and advising. The Registrar will pursue structural improvements to policies and practices to remove unintentional barriers to student success for an improved student experience.
This is a full-time, exempt role with typical working hours Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Starting annual salary for this position is $110,000. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities.
Who You Are
- You have excellent interpersonal skills. You enjoy leading and coordinating the work of groups who develop academic policies. Tact and diplomacy are your hallmarks in getting work done.
- You are confident in having difficult conversations with students, staff, and faculty regarding academic policy. You are prompt in holding these discussions.
- In your current role, you have developed strong professional relationships across all areas of the organization. You have partners all across campus.
You and your colleagues are known for great service. You’re trusted; you respond in a timely manner, and you’re compassionate.
- You are detail oriented and managing details comes naturally to you.
- Even though you’re detail oriented, you keep your eyes on strategic goals and accomplish these on time.
- You are comfortable having a long list of goals. You’re able to work on multiple priorities in parallel, moving them forward as you see opportunity to do so.
- You have an impeccable track record of integrity and success maintaining confidentiality of student records.
- You are an exceptional manager and mentor. Your one-on-one meetings with your direct reports are productive and enjoyable.
- You enjoy systems and technology. Implementing a new student information system is more exciting than daunting. You are an exceptional coach in helping your coworkers use technology and make meaning from data.
- You truly enjoy partnering with faculty. You take the initiative to reach out to faculty.
What You’ll Do
- Provide vision and leadership in maintaining academic standards that embody the college’s values of equity, fairness, academic excellence, and student success.
- Lead a staff of five professionals and as many as five student assistants to provide excellent service to our diverse community of students, staff, faculty, and alumni.
- In consultation with faculty committees and other staff partners, propose and implement a wide array of academic and administrative policies with a focus on retention and student success.
- Manage all aspects of the student registration process, including updating the course inventory, preparing and publishing the schedule of classes, developing the final exam schedule, assigning instructional space, registering students, and maintaining course enrollment records.
- Conduct adviser training and updates for new and continuing faculty in collaboration with the Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Ensure students, staff, and faculty have access to comprehensive information on curriculum, academic policies, and procedures on the college’s website and within the student information system.
- Ensure the integrity and security of student records including the processing of grades, maintenance of course records, certification of student enrollment status, and completion of degrees, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Serve in an advisory capacity to faculty and the dean of the faculty in academic policy discussions by attending meetings of the Committee on Academic Policy and Planning (CAPP).
- Provide data and analysis in support of institutional decision-making regarding academic policies.
- Manage the work of the Administration Committee, including policy review and development, academic action decisions, and decisions on petitions for exceptions. Communicate the decisions and proposals of the committee to relevant constituents.
Master’s degree in higher education, information systems, or other related field and at least 7 years of experience in a higher education registrar’s office, including a minimum of 3 years of managerial experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience leading the development of academic policies is required.
Experience implementing and interfacing between new systems (e.g., new student information system) is preferred.
Click on the “Apply for job” link to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to the pursuit of your long term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Initial review of applications will begin on December 1, 2020 and applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.Job Traveling : None